Should I Fix My Car Before Trading it in?
If you are planning to trade in your vehicle in San Jose, you may be concerned if it needs a little TLC. You want to be sure you get the best trade-in value possible, but you also don’t want to spend a fortune fixing up a car you will soon no longer own. If this is the case, you may be asking yourself, “Should I fix my car before trading it in? It is true that the better condition your car is in, the better its resale value will be. While it may be better to leave bigger repairs to the professionals, small fixes are definitely worth the effort. Victory Honda of Morgan Hill takes a closer look at easy maintenance tasks you can do to get the best deal on your trade in.
Beneficial Maintenance Tasks
Before you trade in your vehicle, there are a few simple steps you can take to get your car looking at performing at its best:
- Replace headlights or clean cloudy headlights: Ensure that you do not have any burned out bulbs, and if you do, replace them. If your headlights are a bit foggy, you can clean them in a pinch using toothpaste. Whitening toothpaste works best. Wipe in on the lens cover with a rag and rinse it off with water.
- Touch-up scratches: If there are a few minor scratches to the exterior paint, buying a bottle of touch-up paint is an affordable way to repair the issue.
- Wash and detail the car: You want your vehicle to make a good first impression, and making sure that it is clean inside and out is one of the best ways to do so. Washing and waxing the exterior will help it shine, and vacuuming the interior and throwing away any trash or debris is also recommended.
- Refill or change fluids: Check the oil, radiator fluid, wiper fluid, transmission fluid, and brake fluid. Replace it or top it off if needed.
- Replace worn wiper blades: If your wiper blades have seen better days, replacing them is quick, easy, and affordable.
What About Major Repairs?
While the maintenance tasks listed above are beneficial, it is likely not in your best interest to take care of expensive larger repairs. When trading in a car, you are looking to maximize what you get for the vehicle while minimizing the cost put into the vehicle. Dealerships like Victory Honda of Morgan Hill are better equipped to take care of more significant repairs and the repairs can be performed for a lower cost than what you would be spending.
Contact Victory Honda of Morgan Hill Today
So, should I fix my car before trading it in? Yes, prepping your vehicle to trade in can help you get the best possible value for it, so doing the simple maintenance tasks listed above are highly recommended. If you have any questions about trading in your car, do not hesitate to contact us for more information. You can also visit our parts department to purchase any maintenance supplies you may need such as fluids or wiper blades.
More from Victory Honda of Morgan Hill
How To Finance A Car
Financing a car is a process that many people go through in their lifetime, whether it’s their first car or their tenth. However, it can be a daunting task, especially if you are not familiar with the process. In this blog, we will go over the basics of how to finance a car. Firstly, it’s…
Getting Your Vehicle Smog Checked
Getting your vehicle smog checked at a car dealership is a crucial part of owning a car. Smog checks are required by law to make sure that vehicles are running efficiently and that they meet certain emissions standards. This helps to reduce the amount of air pollution caused by vehicles and keep the environment clean….
Can I Sell My Car To A Dealership?
Yes, you can sell your car to a dealership. In fact, selling your car to a dealership is one of the most convenient and straightforward ways to sell a used car. Dealerships typically have a process in place for purchasing used cars, and they may be interested in buying your car even if you’re not…