Do You Need a Car in College?
As you’re moving down your college checklist, you may start questioning, “Do you need a car for college?” or “Can you bring your car to college?” Whether you need a car to get to your off-campus job or you enjoy the added freedom for adventures around San Jose, there are many new and pre-owned Honda models fit for the role. Follow along with Victory Honda of Morgan Hill as we cover whether you do need a car for college, and finding the best used car for a college student. If you have any questions, contact us today!
Deciding if You Need a Car for College
Can you bring a car to college? Most campuses easily accommodate student vehicles. However, when deciding if bringing your vehicle is the right choice, you should be aware of the safety concerns and maintenance issues that can come along with bringing your car to school. Let’s take a look at some of the factors you should consider:
- Low-Mileage Discounts: While a car can be a great option, you may know you’re not going to drive it often. Check with your insurance agent for money-saving opportunities.
- Secure Your Car and Leave it Empty: Vehicles sitting in campus lots around Sunnyvale are prone to break-ins and vandalism. It’s best not to tempt any thieves by leaving items visible in your vehicle. You can find added peace of mind with the addition of a steering wheel lock.
- Take it for a Drive: Prevent flat spots in your tires or a drained battery by taking your car for a drive every once in a while.
- Check Your Car Regularly: Keep in mind you should still stay on top of your routine maintenance, and monitor your vehicle for parking tickets and broken windows. Leaving service issues and vandalism unattended to can lead to even more serious damage, and fines that continue to build.
- Be Aware of Sticker Expiration Dates: Set a reminder or do a monthly check of important dates for your vehicle inspection, registration, and parking permits.
Finding the Best Used Car for a College Student
From Watsonville shopping trips to navigating busy parking lots, what kind of car fits your lifestyle around campus? On top of deciding between a sedan, SUV or truck, consider these factors when searching for the best used car for a college student:
- Affordability: New vehicles are a great option if you’re looking to invest in a model that gets you through college and into the workforce, however, used cars are the most affordable options for college students. For more affordable models, take a look at our used vehicles under 10K.
- Features & Optional Add-ons: What kind of capabilities do you need? Consider entertainment connectivity options, and all-wheel drive for improved handling in inclement weather and uneven terrain.
- Insurance Costs: Insurance providers may provide incentives or discounts for college students.
- Gas Mileage: If you are commuting to campus every day or planning ahead for the daily work commute, fuel efficient models are a great choice for most drivers.
- Safety Ratings: Wherever the road takes you, models with driver-assist features and safety technology give you peace of mind.
Prepare for College with Victory Honda of Morgan Hill!
As you can see, you can bring your car to college pretty easily if you’re prepared. For more ways to save, be sure to check out the new and used vehicle specials at Victory Honda of Morgan Hill. Then, once school is done, come back and take advantage of the Victory Honda of Morgan Hill College Grad Program to save on the new model that will get you through the work week.
More from Victory Honda of Morgan Hill
The combination of food, fun, and friends in a stadium parking lot before football games big or small is only made better by including the right pickup truck or SUV perfect for the party. They say everyone loves a parade, and maybe that is true. But who doesn’t love a tailgate? As classic fall…
Did you know that the Honda CR-V is America’s best-selling SUV in the past 25 (!) years? It’s true. The Honda CR-V continues to outperform, outlast, and out-class the competition. With the 6th generation 2023 CR-V, Honda raises the stakes again. It has a new rugged and sophisticated design, a more advanced 4th generation…
Let’s explore the total cost of ownership of a vehicle. Understanding the expense of buying a car can be a freeing feeling. It gives you confidence in your decisions. There are many ways to calculate your total cost of ownership, and there is not a one size fits all calculation. You must tailor it to…